Innovation & Product Design
Accessible data visualization
What we were working on
Principles/guidelines to make data visualization accessible.
Identify a set of “standard” visualization methods to visualize data, and create color palettes that make data visualizations distinct look like the Pega brand.
What I did
- Interviewed stakeholders to define goals and scope
- Identified encoding use cases to be supported
- Evaluated data encoding in the context to accessibility
- Created color palettes for categorical, continuous and divergent data encoding
- Performed usability studies with color-blind participants to adjust palettes
- Collaborated with front-end developer to interpolate key colors and build color palettes into the design system
- Total of 23 palettes that cover four main types and four sub-types of color blindness, and that interpolate tints and can scale up to 200 classes if need be
- Two extra red-amber-green palettes tailored to the needs of two types of red-green color blindness