Final design in action
A word before
These days I’m working on enterprise software – specifically enterprise decision management (in short EDM). Although my work is typically under NDA, the work posted below has been cleared of it, and so I’m happy to share it with a wider audience.
On this page I’m summarising one years worth of work. For this project, I partnered with a scrum team that built the functionality, acting in a dual role:
- as Product Owner, working in tandem with scrum team + interviewing users to define the epics, + acceptance criteria.
- as Designer I defined design principles, the visual metaphors of abstract concepts including their visual appearance, interactions and behaviour of the system, + conducted usability research so we could build and design using an iterative + agile approach.
Some of the designed interactions (which are not shown on here) are still under pending-patent.
The graphical framework is a framework, that enables a variety of users to model customer engagements using a visual programming paradigm.
Discovery & themes
The graphical framework is used by these audiences:
- Decision Architects
- Strategy Designers
- Data Architects
- Business Analysts
These users expect to have a modelling experience that is fluid, snappy, and consistent across all product areas.
A graphical framework must be above all
- understandable to use
- Enactive: authoring experience
- Performance + Scalability: supporting 200 objects
- Modern, timely, fast + snappy: a fluid experience allowing for choreographies
- Holistic, yet visually distinguishable
- Semantically thoughtful
- Platform + technology agnostic
Grids + layers
Interactions + system behaviour
Platform agnostic cursors
Support for multiple input methods
Standard computer mouse
Hotkeys + accelerators
Track + touch pads
Gestural input methods
Navigating while zooming in + out
Shading while zooming using various input methods
Performance + Scalability
Times faster per browser
Final visual design of various modellers
Decision Strategy Modeller
Event Strategy Modeller
Data Flow Modeller